[Haskell-cafe] containers license issue

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:53:20 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael at orlitzky.com> wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 08:15 PM, Johan Tibell wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Dmitry Kulagin
>> <dmitry.kulagin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Clark, Johan, thank you! That looks like perfect solution to the problem.
>>
>> Clean-room reimplementation merged and released as 0.5.2.0.
>>

> Not even a little bit clean-room: he posted the source code that he was
> going to reimplement like two hours earlier, and had obviously read it.

Clean-room was clearly a bit over enthusiastic. He said he didn't use
the other code as a reference but instead the bithacks reference,
which is public domain. I'm comfortable enough with this. I wasn't
particularly worried about the prior implementation either, as it
don't think (as a non-lawyer) that it will hold up as copyrightable in
court due to its trivial nature and the presence of prior art (this is
a standard bit-twiddling algorithm).