[Haskell-cafe] Kernel Loops in Accelerate

Trevor L. McDonell tmcdonell at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Dec 13 13:47:14 CET 2012

Hi Clark,

The question of sequential loops in Accelerate has come up a few times in the
past. The main sticking point is knowing how to implement them in a way that
encourages efficient programs; avoiding irregular arrays (iteration depths),
discouraging scalar versions of collective combinators, etc. Basically we need
to avoid thread divergence where possible, else the GPU SIMD hardware won't be
well utilised.

I've experimented a little with this. If you check the generated code of the
mandelbrot program [1], you'll see it has recovered the _fixed_ iteration depth
into a scalar loop.

I'll hack up something like a while loop for value iteration and see what
happens. Tentative proposal (perhaps just the second):

  iterate :: Exp Int            -- fixed iteration count (maybe just a regular Int)
          -> (Exp a -> Exp a)   -- function to repeatedly apply
          -> Exp a              -- initial (seed) value
          -> Exp a

  while   :: (Exp a -> Exp Bool)
          -> (Exp a -> Exp a)
          -> Exp a
          -> Exp a

It would be good if we could collect some additional concrete applications and
see if there are better ways to map certain classes of sequential iteration to
efficient GPU code.

Additional thoughts/comments welcome!

Cheers,
-Trev