[Haskell-cafe] Some thoughts on Type-Directed Name Resolution

quick at sparq.org quick at sparq.org
Wed Feb 1 16:22:42 CET 2012

Fair deuce.  With all due respect now included, my same concern still seems to
apply although I believe I poorly stated it originally.  Allow me to retry:

  By declaring partial application an invalid parse, it introduces an exception
to point-free style that is at odds with the normal intuition of the uses of "f x".

SPJ's SOPR raises it as an issue and indicates he's inclined to disallow it; my
concern above would still apply.

As I surely mis-understand it (referencing your proposal as RHCT since I haven't
seen another reference):

SOPR:      map (\r -> f r) recs
SOPR:      map (get f) recs
SOPR/alt:  qfmap (undefined :: "f") id recs

RHCT:      map (\r -> f r) recs
RHCT:      map (\r -> r.$rev_ f) recs
RHCT:      map ((.$)f) recs

If partial application is allowed (against SPJ's inclination and explicitly
disallowed in your scheme), I could have:

    map .f recs

in either SOPR or your proposal, which (to me) is an intuitive coordination of
the two concepts (point-free/partial application and f.x desugaring).  I don't
think this is currently a valid parse, so I don't think it breaks existing, but
that's not a very well informed opinion either.

My concern is a triviality however; my intent was to attempt to assist in trying
to clarify a what I perceived as a conceptual gap in the discussion.  I am most
grateful for the significant time and effort contributed by yourself, SPJ, and
all other parties, and I fear I've mostly wasted people's time on syntactic
trivialities already well discussed and dismissed.  Please do carry on, it's all
good stuff.

-KQ