[Haskell-cafe] Again, version conflicting problem with cabal-install

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:48:16 CET 2012

In my experience the diamond of death is typically because:
  * You install package A that uses C-0.1
  * Someone uploads C-0.2 to hackage
  * Later you 'cabal update', this does not rebuild A to use C-0.2,
even though it could.
  * You install package B that uses C, and cabal builds it with C-0.2
  * Now you want to build D that uses A and B, but A requires C-0.1
and B requires C-0.2, even though they could be rebuilt to use the
same C.

Typically, the constraints on A, B, and D would all accept the same
version of C.  Except that when they were compiled separately and C
changed between building A and B, then the compiled versions become
fixed on C-0.1 and C-0.2.

It's true that it won't solve it in all cases, but in my experience
using cabal-dev made the problem go away.

I hope that clarifies.

Jason