[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 214
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 04:43:51 CET 2012
Welcome to issue 214 the HWN, a newsletter covering stories, questions,
and remarks seen around the web during the week of January 29 to
February 4, 2012.
You can find the HTML version at:
Quotes of the Week
* Jafet: [on memoising an O(n) algorithm:] This is like trying to
save work in a police investigation by having each detective
determine whether another detective has already removed all
evidence from his area by walking through it to search for evidence
in the area.
* CodeWeaver: keep in mind encryption's only as good as how much you
trust that the implementors got it right.
* cmccann: length [1..10^20]
lambdabot: mueval-core: Time limit exceeded
cmccann: looks like 10^20 is infinity
* elliott: race condition waiting to happen
* elliott: o'reilly publishes attoparsec tutorial: exactly the same
as their parsec tutorial, but 10^-18th the size
* rwbarton: Num works for Float/Double, it's Float/Double that
doesn't work for Num
* ddarius: Space isn't that big.
* Brent Yorgey:
> Sometimes, I suspect that Haskell not only makes easier of the hard
> things for imperative programming languages but also makes harder of
> some easy things.
This is true. But usually these are things that you don't *want* to
be easy, like shooting yourself in the kidney. (But these features are
often described in ways that make them sound great, like "flexible
usage of bullet-placement tools".) Inserting arbitrary print
statements into the middle of some code is difficult for a reason.
Top Reddit Stories
* GHC 7.4.1 is out. Here's the release notes
Domain: haskell.org, Score: 107, Comments: 59
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/su4jl
Original:  http://goo.gl/Nstve
* Coming soon, to a bookstore near you
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 82, Comments: 16
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/6gZXg
Original:  http://goo.gl/zSW1l
* ImplicitCAD is a Programmatic CAD Tool/3D Modelling Engine in Haskell.
Also my first big Haskell project. Feedback, advice?
Domain: github.com, Score: 63, Comments: 23
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/YHMRa
Original:  http://goo.gl/39rc3
* Using monadic effects to reverse a merge sort
Domain: github.com, Score: 42, Comments: 4
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/dVuyp
Original:  http://goo.gl/jL9qj
* Exciting changes coming to conduit 0.2
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 38, Comments: 7
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/neyW2
Original:  http://goo.gl/1ikN5
* Vectorisation without Replication in Data Parallel Haskell
Domain: disciple-devel.blogspot.com, Score: 35, Comments: 4
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/iJ4OD
Original:  http://goo.gl/uMp4S
* If software purity in functional languages is such an awesome idea,
we still writing Python, Ruby or Java?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 33, Comments: 136
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/F0QCY
Original:  http://goo.gl/F0QCY
* Released Data.Array.Accelerate 0.9.0.0 — the Haskell array library for
Domain: justtesting.org, Score: 32, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/NqUwp
Original:  http://goo.gl/JYTQ4
* Fun With -XPolyKinds : Polykinded Folds
Domain: typesandotherdistractions.com, Score: 24, Comments: 1
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/daxL8
Original:  http://goo.gl/u9gHi
* Introduction to using acid-state, IxSet and data-lens as a native
noSQL, RAM-cloud database
Domain: happstack.com, Score: 23, Comments: 21
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/9bliO
Original:  http://goo.gl/ZGXyW
* Can't wait for the Haskell Platform? -- Compiling GHC 7.4.1 from
never been easier.
Domain: blog.jasonknight.us, Score: 21, Comments: 8
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/IKjm6
Original:  http://goo.gl/dgMF2
* Generating random functions
Domain: mainisusuallyafunction.blogspot.com, Score: 20, Comments: 6
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/DB4f6
Original:  http://goo.gl/aOAPo
* How to deal with undesired values when designing types
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 19, Comments: 28
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/aPCbQ
Original:  http://goo.gl/aPCbQ
* Guarded Pipes or How to write Conduit.List Combinators in Pipes.
Domain: pcapriotti.wordpress.com, Score: 17, Comments: 16
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/vo8ip
Original:  http://goo.gl/mhnfH
Domain: uu-computerscience.github.com, Score: 16, Comments: 0
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/42xXs
Original:  http://goo.gl/Cz8R6
Top StackOverflow Questions
* What are the rules about concurrently accessing a persistent database
votes: 17, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/m3QhB
* Functions don't just have types: They ARE Types. And Kinds. And Sorts.
put a blown mind back together
votes: 15, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/fKjQR
* Defining polymorphic constants in Haskell
votes: 12, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/3H3ke
* Do guarded pipes behave the same as pipes using await?
votes: 12, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/Mf3HQ
* What is the purpose of the IdentityT transformer?
votes: 11, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/L7Syk
* call/cc implementation?
votes: 10, answers: 5
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/tfLLz
* Understanding bind function in Haskell
votes: 9, answers: 4
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/amtSd
* How to show that a monad is a functor and an applicative functor?
votes: 8, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/Cg0EQ
* Avoiding lift with Monad Transformers
votes: 7, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/fBhCz
* Container element types
votes: 7, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/UfZnG
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Haskell-Cafe