[Haskell-cafe] Fancy REPL

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Feb 9 20:17:15 CET 2012

Dear list,

the  Show  class is extremely useful for exploring Haskell in a
terminal, but sometimes, I just want something fancier. For instance,
I'm currently dabbling with sound generation and it is only natural that
I want to hear the sound instead of seeing a textual representation.
Another example would be graphics, that are simply drawn on screen
whenever you evaluate their value.

Of course, this is simple to implement with a class

     class Demonstrable a where
         demo :: a -> IO ()

     instance Demonstrable Sound where demo = play
     instance Demonstrable Sound where demo = draw
     instance Demonstrable GUI   where demo = run
     etc.

However, I don't want to reinvent the wheel, small as it may be, hence
my question: is there a package on hackage that already defines a class
similar to  Demonstrable ? Or any other projects in this direction,
like, say, a fancy REPL built on wxHaskell?

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com