[Haskell-cafe] Subject: A universal data store interface

Paul R paul.r.ml at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:19:37 CET 2012

> The most proeminent example is probably PostgreSQL, which is an
> incredibly strong product with high SQL power. But as soon as you access
> it through the ActiveRecord or Persistent API, it gets turned into
> a very limited store, with the SQL power of SQLITE or MongoDB.

Tom> "Limited" /= "Worst", though [0].

Tom> The popularity of SQLite and "NoSQL" prove that sometimes a limited
Tom> feature set is worth the gains in abstraction.

Tom> Definitely not for every project, of course.

I don't dismiss MongoDB nor SQLite, they are great. But you probably
don't want to limit MongoDB to a SQL features set, and you don't want to
limit SQLite to a "NoSQL" interface, and you don't want to limit
PostgreSQL to a SQLite features set ...

As you said, each of these stores has strenghs for particular needs and
weaknesses for others. Pick the one that best suits your project, and
use its full power, raw :)

--
  Paul