[Haskell-cafe] Subject: A universal data store interface

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Mon Feb 13 21:36:17 CET 2012

You make it sound like your options are "use the crippled abstraction
layer" or "use the full-powered database layer." You're leaving out
two very important points:

1. There's a reason the abstraction layer exists: it can be clumsy to
go directly to the full-powered database for simple stuff.
2. You can bypass the abstraction layer whenever you want.

I like to describe Persistent's goal as doing 95% of what you need,
and getting out of your way for the other 5%. You can write raw SQL
queries with Persistent. I use this for implementing full-text search.
I haven't needed to write deep analytical tools recently, but if I
did, I would use raw SQL for that too.

Persistent's advantage over going directly to the database is concise,
type-safe code. Are you really telling me that `runSql "SELECT * FROM
foo where id=?" [someId]` plus a bunch of marshal code is better then
`get someId`?

Michael