[Haskell-cafe] Subject: A universal data store interface

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Mon Feb 13 21:40:22 CET 2012

Paul, I appreciate your experience and you might find it interesting
that I have come to similar conclusions from my own experience!

As Tom commented though, just because something is limited does not
mean it is bad for every project. There are many small scale projects
that do just fine with about any database abstraction layer, and are
probably better off for it. And as Michael said, many find it a good
approach to use a database abstraction layer for some of their code
and then go raw for other parts of it.
like-wise, the acid-state project (which I actually think is very
similar to Persistent, but it only stores in the process memory) is a
nice approach until the point that you run out of RAM.

So lets assume our project has very demanding needs from our
persistence layer, and we don't want to ever have to spend time
re-writing an abstraction-layer query into a raw form. Does that mean
it is impossible to write anything more than a database driver? I
still believe there are several important areas that a database layer
can be awesome for.

The first is proper serialization - converting between Haskell values
and database value. We have re-factored Persistent to separate this
out from the querying. So you can use Persistent's serilization layer
without using its query layer. The new rawSql function lets you write
raw queries and get back real Haskell values.

The second aspect is declaring the schema and leveraging that to help
make things more type-safe. This is even more important in a
schema-less data store like MongoDB. Using raw strings means you are a
typo away from silent error. Declaring your schema in a database layer
creates the possibility of catching these error in your code. This is
less important overall in SQL, but Persistent still has your back by
checking the schema and telling you what you need to migrate. But I
want to take this a step further in Haskell: I want to know at compile
time that my query is valid, even if I want to write it in a raw form.
Something like Persistent is needed to make sure the columns
referenced are correct, but we also want to know that the entire query
is correct. There are some interesting but immature efforts in this
area, which is yet another way that Persistent could be improved.