[Haskell-cafe] Poll: Have you heard of or used GHC External Core?

Jason Dagit dagitj at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:35:43 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM, James Fisher <jameshfisher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is this the same or different than what you get with the -fext-core
>> command?
>

> The very same.

In that case, I'll fill out the survey, but let me explain how I've use it:

I was part of a (currently dormant) effort to translate Haskell to
Isabelle/HOLCF.  We found it easiest to let GHC do much of the front
end compilation so that we really only had to work with System Fc.
That led us to using the output with -fext-core when translating to
Isabelle. I would like to pick the project up again in the future (we
lost our isabelle experts and need to find more). If ext-core was not
available we could probably make due with ghc-api.  Ideally we would
be able to translate Haskell directly but there are even more
technical challenges there and using ext-core seemed like a good
intermediate step to prove that the idea could work.

Jason