[Haskell-cafe] Haskell development in Mac OS X after Gatekeeper

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 03:19:45 CET 2012

On 2/19/12, Austin Seipp <mad.one at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Tom Murphy <amindfv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 0) Distributing non-Cocoa-built apps, even if you're approved by Apple
>
> Do you just mean binaries that you expect users run under
> /usr/local/bin or something, not app bundles? If that's the case, I
> cannot say if the same restrictions will apply.

     Actually, what I was more concerned about was the ability to
distribute a "full" Mac application, with a GUI, made with a method
other than calling Haskell from Objective-C.
     It seems that *none* of these applications will be usable by
anyone except users with all security settings turned off (it doesn't
sound great in a user manual: "Every time you run this program, be
sure to turn the malware-detector all the way off")

     The reason I'm concerned is that having a security signature
requires a membership to the Apple Developers program, which is
exclusively for XCode [0]. Isn't it logical to assume that the
signature-"bundling" process [1] occurs within XCode?
     (I'm assuming the "digital summary of the contents of the
application" is a hash, which (I think) would imply that
XCode-compilation would have to be the final step in the development
chain)

     Which (again, unless I'm reading it wrong) means that most
Haskell OS X GUI work (incl. FRP) goes out the window?!

amindfv / Tom

[0] Not to mention $100 every year!

[1] "Digital signatures are created by combining a secret key known
only to the developer with a digital summary of the contents of the
application. It’s all wrapped together in an encrypted file that
becomes part of the app."