[Haskell-cafe] Composing Enumeratees in enumerator

Michael Craig mkscrg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 05:45:16 CET 2012

I wound up emailing John Millikin about this and he made a good case
against these kinds of simplified operators, which is basically the problem
of handling left-over input. The joinI and joinE combinators discard the
left-over Stream that is yielded by the inner iteratee. (As John explains
it, this is a trade-off between ease of use and programming complexity.)
Simplified operators (like $=, =$, and now =$=) use repeated joinI's, so
left-over input may be lost in various places. When using simple iteratees
that never yield left-over input, this isn't a problem and the operators
make sense.

For more complex pipelines, John advocates a style like this:

joinI (foo $$ (bar $$ baz))

so that left over data is only discarded once after the computation is
otherwise complete.

In any case, there's now a new release of enumerator (0.4.17) which
includes an enumeratee composition operator: (=$=) :: Monad m => Enumeratee
a1 a2 m (Step a3 m b) -> Enumeratee a2 a3 m b -> Enumeratee a1 a3 m b.

Cheers,
Mike Craig