[Haskell-cafe] Solved but strange error in type inference

Yucheng Zhang yczhang89 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 17:15:08 CET 2012

As I investigated the code more carefully, I found that the type unification
failure may not be related to the suspected class constraint on data
constructor.

I have made minor changes to the original code to remove the Ord constraint,
including introducing a FakedMap with no requirement on Ord. The type
unification
failure continues:

>    Couldn't match type `nt1' with `nt'
>      `nt1' is a rigid type variable bound by
>            the type signature for
>              subsome :: [RRule nt1 t1 s1] -> Either String ([t1], s1)
>            at xx.hs:34:19
>      `nt' is a rigid type variable bound by
>           the type signature for
>             legSome :: LegGram nt t s -> nt -> Either String ([t], s)
>           at xx.hs:29:1
>    Expected type: [Symbols nt1 t1]
>      Actual type: [Symbols nt t]
>    In the first argument of `makeWord', namely `r'
>    In the expression: makeWord r

The complete changed code follows:

data Symbols nt t = NT nt -- ^ non terminal
                  | T t  -- ^ terminal
 deriving (Eq, Ord)

type Sem s = [s]->s

data Rule nt t s = Rule { refined :: nt
                       , expression :: [Symbols nt t]
                       , emit :: Sem s
                       }

type RRule nt t s = ([Symbols nt t], Sem s)

data FakedMap a b = FakedMap

delete :: k -> FakedMap k a -> FakedMap k a
delete a b = b

lookup :: k -> FakedMap k a -> Maybe a
lookup a b = Nothing

data LegGram nt t s = LegGram (FakedMap nt [RRule nt t s])

legSome :: LegGram nt t s -> nt -> Either String ([t], s)
legSome (LegGram g) ntV =
  case Main.lookup ntV g of
    Nothing -> Left "No word accepted!"
    Just l -> let sg = legSome (LegGram (Main.delete ntV g))
                  subsome :: [RRule nt t s] -> Either String ([t], s)
                  subsome [] = Left "No word accepted!"
                  subsome ((r,sem):l) =
                    let makeWord [] = Right ([],[])
                        makeWord ((NT nnt):ll) =