[Haskell-cafe] Package Versioning Policy

Christoph Breitkopf chbreitkopf at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 5 18:30:57 CET 2012

HI,

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> c) You are not allowed to add new instances. I don't get this - how is
> >> this any worse than b)?
>
> You cannot prevent the import of new instances. When you import a
> module you get all its instances. This means that explicit import
> lists can't protect you.

What I don't get is how a new instance may break existing code. Any
example?

Bugfixes you be in bugfix releases (i.e. bumps to the 4th version
> component.)

I though I would do without the patchlevel component at first.

If I understand correctly, you would recommend:

- Mayor Version changes: as described in the guidelines: changed interface,
new instances
- Minor version change: when I just add functions
- Patchlevel change: for bugfixes, performance fixes, documentation changes

Thanks,

Chris