[Haskell-cafe] All the random packages

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 08:18:00 CET 2012

Hi,

I came across the beautiful algorithm for O(1) generation of rational
discrete distributions http://www.keithschwarz.com/darts-dice-coins/ and
though it'd be fun to implement it in Haskell and put on Hackage, but then
it turned out that there's about a dozen random number packages, so I'm not
sure to which one to contribute, or better to roll out my own package and
encourage authors of the other packages to reference it and fit under their
interface.

What do you think?

Which random number packages are considered to be most mature or perhaps
promising - i.e., contributing to which ones will bring the community the
most benefit?
Is there any effort on unifying them going on?

--
Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/