[Haskell-cafe] [web-devel] [ANNOUNCE] First release of crypto-conduit

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:10:19 CET 2012

Aristid Breitkreuz <aristidb at googlemail.com> wrote:
> To use the hash, I have to convert it to a ByteString, and then I
> suddenly have lost all this safety. I don't really see how there is
> any real safety gained.

But that isn't true for all users.  Sometimes a hash is computed long
before it is transmitted, so while you're passing it around you can be
sure it won't be confused with other raw data (basically, what Vincent
said).  Also, some users never want to convert to a bytestring - using
the Eq and Ord instances are enough.

> That said, just exposing a direct method of getting to that ByteString
> without cereal (as Thomas proposed) would be an improvement.

I'll do this and release crypto-api 0.9 soonish.

Cheers,
Thomas