[Haskell-cafe] GHC exceeding command line length limit with split-objs - and a possible fix

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 08:12:29 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm building gtk2hs on a mac with -fsplit-objs, and during compilation of
the largest file, which produces about 7000 split objects, the linking
phase fails.
I'm assuming that's because the command line length has been exceeded,
because other files compile fine, without -fsplit-objs it compiles fine
too, and it compiles fine *with* -fsplit-objs on other OS - so perhaps the
reason is in mac's tempfile name generation (they're longer than on other
platforms) or something.

Anyway.

I think a nice fix would be to employ gcc's ability to read options from a
file - gcc @file - and write overly long option strings into temp files.

It'd be fun for me to implement this as my first contribution to ghc; is
this a good idea in general?

--
Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/