[Haskell-cafe] Conduit versions of wai and warp?

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Thu Jan 19 10:08:54 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Gregory Collins
<greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:26 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We can still have a conduit-based version of WAI and Warp, even if an
>> underlying package uses enumerator. The enumerator usage from
>> asn1-data doesn't leak into WAI or Warp at all[1]. We could ask
>> Vincent to consider moving over to attoparsec-conduit instead, but I
>> don't think there's any strong need for this.
>

> Speaking of the migration issue; it should be possible to have an enumerator
> <-> conduit wrapper library to help people continue to use their
> enumerator-based code for awhile (and vice-versa).

I think it's easier said than done. Some conversions should be
straight-forward: turning a Source into an Enumerator, for example.
But others won't be possible without dirty hacks (e.g., Enumerator to
Source will likely require forking a thread and using Chan), while
others may be completely impossible (Enumeratee to Conduit). I agree
such a package is a good idea, and I'd be happy to help anyone who
wants to step up to the plate on it, but I'm not very hopeful that it
will be incredibly useful.

Michael