[Haskell-cafe] Contributing to http-conduit

Myles C. Maxfield myles.maxfield at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:31:21 CET 2012

1. Oops - I overlooked the fact that the redirectCount attribute of a
Request is exported (it isn't listed on the
documentation<http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/http-conduit/1.2.0/doc/html/Network-HTTP-Conduit.html>
probably
because the constructor itself isn't exported. This seems like a flaw in
Haddock...). Silly me. No need to export httpRaw.

2. I think that stuffing many arguments into the 'http' function is ugly.
However, I'm not sure that the number of arguments to 'http' could ever
reach an unreasonably large amount. Perhaps I have bad foresight, but I
personally feel that adding cookies to the http request will be the last
thing that we will need to add. Putting a bound on this growth of arguments
makes me more willing to think about this option. On the other hand, using
a BrowserAction to modify internal state is very elegant. Which approach do
you think is best? I think I'm leaning toward the upper-level Browser
module idea.

If there was to be a higher-level HTTP library, I would argue that the
redirection code should be moved into it, and the only high-level function
that the Network.HTTP.Conduit module would export is 'http' (or httpRaw).
What do you think about this?

Thanks for helping me out with this,
Myles C. Maxfield