[Haskell-cafe] Hierarchical tracing for debugging laziness

Yves Parès yves.pares at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 22:38:47 CET 2012

Hi, nice little package!

I just made a fork and added a new function makeHTrace to be able to have
separate variables 'level'.
I also add the htrace type signature (or else haddock won't generate
documentation for this module):
https://github.com/YwenP/htrace

I was also investigating in a way to fix an annoyment. You see, in GHCI:

> let {a = htrace "a" 12; b = htrace "b" 29; c = htrace "c" 10; d = htrace
"d" 90; x = htrace "," (htrace "+" (a+b), htrace "*" (c*d)) }

prints:

,
(+
41,*
900)

Instead, we'd like to have (if I'm right):

,
  +
  *
(41,900)

But I haven't found a way to tell GHCI to fully evaluate 'x' but _not_
print its value.