[Haskell-cafe] Need advice: Haskell in Web Client

dokondr dokondr at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:16:50 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Dag Odenhall <dag.odenhall at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 22:05 +0300, dokondr wrote:
> >
> > I prefer using Turing complete PL to program web client, like the one
> used
> > in GWT (Java) or Cappuccino  (Objective-J). http://cappuccino.org/learn/
> > In this case you /almost/ don't need to know  HTML, CSS, DOM, Ajax, etc.
> > develop WebUI and good PL lets you concentrate on problem domain instead
> of
> > bothering about browser support.
> > It is a real pity that Haskell still has no such tools to generate Web
> GUI
> > in Javascript. (((
>
> Have you seen Chris Done's posts on the subject?
>
> http://chrisdone.com/tags/javascript.html

Thanks for the link! (Never seen this before)
Ideally, I would be happy to be able to write in Haskell a complete
front-end / GUI, so it could be compiled to different back-ends: Javascript
to run in the Browser and also a standalone app.
In Python world this is already done with Pyjamas (http://pyjs.org/) - "a
Rich Internet Application (RIA) Development Platform for both Web and
Desktop."
Also from Pyjamas site:
Pyjamas "... contains a Python-to-Javascript compiler, an AJAX framework
and a Widget Set API.
Pyjamas Desktop is the Desktop version of Pyjamas
Pyjamas Desktop allows the exact same python web application source code to
be executed as a standalone desktop application (running under Python)
instead of being stuck in a Web browser."

Architecture diagram
http://pyjs.org/wiki/pyjamasandpyjamasdesktop/

I wonder if somebody works on similar Haskell "Rich Internet Application
(RIA) Development Platform" ?
Any ideas, comments on implementation of such system in Haskell? What
existing Haskell GUI libraries can be used for a desktop GUI, etc.?

Thanks!