[Haskell-cafe] strict version of Haskell - does it exist?

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Mon Jan 30 20:21:41 CET 2012

Hi,

Am Montag, den 30.01.2012, 10:52 +0100 schrieb Alexander Bernauer:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:25:09PM +0100, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:
> > First of all, /learning/ to optimize Haskell can be difficult.  The
> > optimizing itself is actually fairly easy in my experience, once you
> > understand how the language works.
>
> Given the fact that you have obviously mastered the learning part of
> this, do you have any recommendations on what to read or on how to
> proceed in order to learn how to optimize Haskell code?
>
> I can imagine, it's not only about understanding the language itself,
> but also about understanding how your compiler and its switches work,
> being able to find the hot spots in your code, being able to measure the
> effects of your changes, developing a good sense for the tradeoffs, etc.
>
> So far, I have only stumpled upon chapter 25 of Real World Haskell.
> Anything else you might recommend?

Although I would not claim that I have mastered this, I did recently
hold a talk that touched some of these issues, and also exhibits a case
where you want something more fine-grained than just strictness or
lazyness. From your name I think it is safe to point you to a German
document:
http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/archives/539-Guest-lecture-on-Haskell-performance.html

Greetings,
Joachim