[Haskell-cafe] Best way to build a GHC backend?

Jonathan Geddes geddes.jonathan at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 17:21:08 CEST 2012

I agree that the Raison d'être for a .NET or JVM backend is interop.
Perhaps that's not worth the effort of an entirely new backend. JavaScript
is a different beast, however.  I said before:

>From my point of view, languages that cannot run on one of the 3
> aforementioned platforms will become irrelevant. (with the exception of
C,
> of course).

I'll take that one step further and say that for web applications it is
becoming increasingly difficult to justify using a language that WILL NOT
run both client and server. JavaScript (with NodeJS), Clojure (with
ClojureScript), and Dart are just a few examples.

I really believe that with a solid JavaScript backend, Haskell would be an
ideal web application language. Am I alone in that belief? What can I do to
get the ball rolling on that?

--J Arthur