[Haskell-cafe] The Layout Rule

Tillmann Rendel rendel at informatik.uni-marburg.de
Thu Jun 21 10:14:40 CEST 2012

Hi Michael,

Michael D. Adams wrote:
> I am looking for background material on how GHC and other Haskell
> compilers implement the layout rule.

In the context of our work on syntactic extensibility, we have
implemented a declarative and extensible mechanism to specify and
implement layout rules. A paper about the approach is currently under
review, and a draft is available [1]. The implementation and evaluation
data is available [2].

  [1] http://sugarj.org/layout-parsing.pdf
  [2] http://github.com/seba--/layout-parsing

We used our parser in the implementation of SugarHaskell, a
syntactically extensible variant of Haskell. A paper about SugarHaskell
is currently under review, and again, a draft is available [3].
The implementation can be installed as an Eclipse plugin from the SugarJ
website [4]. A command-line version is forthcoming.

  [3] http://sugarj.org/sugarhaskell.pdf
  [4] http://sugarj.org/

Best Regards,

  Tillmann (on behalf of the SugarJ team)