[Haskell-cafe] Martin Odersky on "What's wrong with Monads"

Tillmann Rendel rendel at informatik.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jun 27 14:17:59 CEST 2012

Hi Rico,

Rico Moorman wrote:
>>   data Tree = Leaf Integer | Branch (Tree Integer) (Tree Integer)
>>
>>   amount:: Tree -> Integer
>>   amount (Leaf x) = x
>>   amount (Branch t1 t2) = amountt1 + amountt2
>>
>> [...] additional requirement: "If the command-line flag --multiply is set,
>> the function amount computes the product instead of the sum."
>>
>> How would you implement this requirement in Haskell without changing the
>> line "amount (Leaf x) = x"?

> The (for me at least) most obvious way to do this would be, to make the
> operation to be applied to determine the amount (+ or *) an explicit
> parameter in the function's definition.
>
>   data Tree a = Leaf a
>               | Branch (Tree a) (Tree a)
>   amount :: (a -> a -> a) -> Tree a -> a
>   amount fun (Leaf x) = x
>   amount fun (Branch t1 t2) = amount fun t1 `fun` amount fun t2

I agree: This is the most obvious way, and also a very good way. I would
probably do it like this.

> Which drawbacks do you see besides increased verbosity?

Well, you did change the equation "amount (Leaf x) = x" to "amount fun
(Leaf x) = x". In a larger example, this means that you need to change
many lines of many functions, just to get the the value of fun from the
point where it is known to the point where you need it.

> [...] I am wondering which ways of doing this in Haskell you mean.

I thought of the following three options, but see also Nathan Howells
email for another alternative (that is related to my option (1) below):

(1) Implicit parameters:

{-# LANGUAGE ImplicitParams #-}
data Tree = Leaf Integer | Branch Tree Tree

amount :: (?fun :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer) => Tree -> Integer
amount (Leaf x) = x
amount (Branch t1 t2) = ?fun (amount t1) (amount t2)

(2) Lexical Scoping:

data Tree = Leaf Integer | Branch Tree Tree

amount :: (Integer -> Integer -> Integer) -> Tree -> Integer
amount fun = amount where {
amount (Leaf x) = x
; amount (Branch t1 t2) = fun (amount t1) (amount t2) }

(3) UnsafePerformIO:

import System.IO.Unsafe (unsafePerformIO)

data Tree = Leaf Integer | Branch Tree Tree

amount :: Tree -> Integer
amount (Leaf x) = x
amount (Branch t1 t2) = fun (amount t1) (amount t2)
   where fun = unsafePerformIO ...

I'm not happy with any of these options. Personally, I would probably go
ahead and transform the whole program just to get the value of fun to
where it is needed. Nevertheless, having actually done this before, I
understand why Martin Odersky doesn't like doing it :)

   Tillmann