[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sat May 19 07:57:20 CEST 2012

On 5/16/12 7:43 AM, Yves Parès wrote:
>> On the one hand, characterizing those who desire the best performance
>> possible as "simple-minded" is, at best, a gross over-generalization. Like
>> you, I work in a field where optimization is king (e.g., in machine
>> translation, program runtimes are measured in days).
>
> You misread the logical implication, Ertugrul said:
>
>> simple-minded people often have a desire to get the best performance
>> possible

For the record, I was replying to Ryan's response to Ertugrul, rather
than to Ertugrul directly. I make no claims about what Ertugrul said or
the (in)validity thereof.

However, while the "logical" interpretation of Ertugrul's words may be
that simple-mindedness implies performance-desire, that interpretation
is not the only one available to the standard interpretation of his
words, nor IMO the dominant interpretation. It is equally valid to
interpret them as saying that the people under discussion are
simpletons, and that those people desire the best performance possible.
(I.e., an attributive rather than restrictive reading of the adjective.)
This latter interpretation is perfectly valid ---as the semantics of the
utterance---, but is pejorative of the people under discussion; and that
pejoration is what Ryan was (fairly) calling Ertugrul out on.

While I think it was fair for Ryan to call Ertugrul out on the matter, I
also thought the subject warranted further discussion since the
pejorative claim comes from somewhere, and so dismissing it entirely
fails to address the underlying issue. Not that I think Ryan was
dismissing it outright, just that it would be easy to interpret his
words as doing so.

--
Live well,
~wren