[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Mon May 21 19:08:18 CEST 2012

On 21 May 2012 17:27, Yves Parès <yves.pares at gmail.com> wrote:

> I fail to see how the GUI part would suffer from lack of performance if the
> rest of the system is fine. I would hate to be bold, but to me this case
> sounds a little bit like "MVC done wrong" if the breaking GUI apart from the
> rest of the software is really that impossible.

A few years ago one of the architects at Adobe published some slides
on the software engineering aspects of PhotoShop, unfortunately I
couldn't find them on the web when I tried recently but I believe it
stated the codebase was well over 1 million lines of C++ and the GUI
(including Adobe's own frameworks) accounted for more than half of
that...

GUI's often *are* the program rather than a way in to use it.