[Haskell-cafe] Fundeps and overlapping instances

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Thu May 31 06:26:06 CEST 2012

Hello,

the notion of a functional dependency is well established, and it was used
well before it was introduced to Haskell (for example, take a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_dependency).  So I'd be weary to
redefine it lightly.
Note that placing a functional dependency constraint is just one way to
allow class methods that don't mention all class variables.  If the
instances for the class do not satisfy the functional dependency (as in
your example), you can refactor your class hierarchy, instead.  For example:

class D a where  k :: a
class D a => C a b where  f :: a -> b

instance D Int where k = 2
instance C Int b where f _ = Nothing