[Haskell-cafe] How to determine correct dependency versions for a library?

Clark Gaebel cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 9 19:35:24 CET 2012

I think we just use dependencies different things. This is a problem
inherent in cabal.

When I (and others) specify a dependency, I'm saying "My package will work
with these packages. I promise."
When you (and others) specify a dependency, you're saying "If you use a
version outside of these bounds, my package will break. I promise."

They're similar, but subtly different. There are merits to both of these
strategies, and it's unfortunate that this isn't specified in the PVP [1].

Janek: I've already given my method, and Peter has told you his method.
Pick either, or make your own! Who knows, maybe someone else (or you!) will
have an even better way to deal with this. :)

  - Clark

[1] http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy