[Haskell-cafe] AST Rewriting

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Wed Nov 21 15:10:49 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Emil Axelsson wrote:

> This is one of the problem Syntactic aims to solve, but it requires you to
> use a different representation of expressions (for good or bad). If you
> want to keep your existing representation, then you have to use a generic
> programming library that supports GADTs. I know at least the Spine approach
> supports GADTs, but the library on Hackage seems too incomplete to be
> useful:
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/**package/spine<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/spine>

Just a comment on this library (since I put it up there). Yes, it is
incomplete. It's only been used for students in a course. It is not
intended for practical use.

Even if it were complete, the Type datatype is closed, meaning the library
cannot be extended to support new types, which probably won't necessarily
be that useful to you. The spine view works nicely as a model of SYB but
not so nicely as a library for generic programming.

Regards,
Sean