[Haskell-cafe] ANN: cabal-install-1.16.0 (and Cabal-1.16.0.1)

Austin Seipp mad.one at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 21:15:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

Just a heads up: on Ubuntu 12.04 with GHC 7.4.1 out of apt (no
haskell-platform,) using the bootstrap.sh script fails, because the
constraints for CABAL_VER_REGEXP are too lax:

$ sh ./bootstrap.sh
Checking installed packages for ghc-7.4.1...
Cabal is already installed and the version is ok.
transformers is already installed and the version is ok.
mtl is already installed and the version is ok.
deepseq is already installed and the version is ok.
text is already installed and the version is ok.
parsec is already installed and the version is ok.
network is already installed and the version is ok.
time is already installed and the version is ok.
HTTP is already installed and the version is ok.
zlib is already installed and the version is ok.
random is already installed and the version is ok.
cleaning...
Linking Setup ...
Configuring cabal-install-1.16.0...
Setup: At least the following dependencies are missing:
Cabal >=1.16.0 && <1.18

Error during cabal-install bootstrap:
Configuring the cabal-install package failed
$ ghc-pkg list Cabal
/var/lib/ghc/package.conf.d
   Cabal-1.14.0
/home/a/.ghc/x86_64-linux-7.4.1/package.conf.d
$

In bootstrap.sh, we see:

CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(13\.3|1[4-7]\.)"  # >=
1.13.3 && < 1.18

The constraint should be updated so that it requires 1.16. It can be
fixed by saying:

CABAL_VER="1.16.0";    CABAL_VER_REGEXP="1\.(1[6-7]\.)"  # >= 1.16 && < 1.18

Otherwise, you can't get any new cabal install without the platform.
Or you have to get 1.14, then install 1.16 via 'cabal install'.

I'll file a bug later today.

Regards,
Austin