[Haskell-cafe] Am I the only one having problems with RWH?

Patrick Mylund Nielsen haskell at patrickmylund.com
Sat Oct 6 21:03:12 CEST 2012

I'm not totally sure if you're having problems with RWH, or think it's
too easy, but here are my thoughts on both:

Both RWH and LYAH (http://learnyouahaskell.com/) are intended for
beginners/people who just want to get started, and RWH tends to be
regarded as the hardest to understand ("read LYAH then RWH.") (RWH is
also specifically aimed at demonstrating how to solve practical
problems, not "hard"/academical ones.) I too agree that LYAH is the
easier one, and it is slightly more focused on the theory and concepts
of Haskell, so I would definitely recommend checking that out. I found
that the topics and chapters of the two books mix nicely--you don't
get the feeling that you're just reading the same book twice.

For other Haskell-related writings, Simon Marlow is currently writing
a book based on his Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell
tutorial (http://community.haskell.org/~simonmar/par-tutorial.pdf) for
O'Reilly at the moment. In the meantime, I've found the Simons' papers
to be interesting reading:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/simonpj/
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/people/simonmar/

The level of the papers range from LYAH-style material to the more
abstract/advanced a la Philip Wadler's Theorems For Free
(http://ttic.uchicago.edu/~dreyer/course/papers/wadler.pdf) Most of
Philip Wadler's papers are also very interesting:
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/

So, you're probably at a level where you'll want to start looking for
interesting academical papers on Haskell/FP and theory, then re-visit
RWH once in a while. I found the papers on STM, Cloud Haskell, and
Parallel Haskell, to be the most interesting, easy to understand, and
practically useful.