[Haskell-cafe] GHC maintenance on Arch

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Oct 29 10:56:00 CET 2012

Hello Timothy,

Now I'm going to run the risk of upsetting you quite a bit by being
completely blunt.

You come across in your mail like someone who has thought through your
own situation, but fail to see the larger picture.  You do know *your*
Haskell needs, and you know what *you* would want from a project like
ArchHaskell.  Then however you completely fail to realise that these
are *your needs*, not anyone else's, but still you suggest that
ArchHaskelll is broken because it doesn't provide a system that solves
*your* problems.

I suggest you take your insights of your situation and try to find a
solution that works for you, and it sounds like you're on the way
already with cabal-install.  If you have suggestions on how to improve
ArchHaskell *within the goals of the project* (which includes the
general goals of ArchLinux) that would make ArchHaskell more usable to
you, then you are more than welcome.  However, if all you do is
suggest that we completely change the goals of ArchHaskell because
they don't align with your needs, then we thank you for your input,
but ask you to not hold your breath for any changes.

/M