[Haskell-cafe] GHC maintenance on Arch

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Mon Oct 29 16:22:40 CET 2012

To be clear, the project ArchHaskell has little or no relation to my
original post.  If I understand correctly, ArchHaskell is a set of Arch uses
who attempted to repackage the packages in hackage in the AUR.  This
addresses issues of package management that are unrelated to my complaint.
My complaint is that Arch currently does not support having two versions of
GHC installed and GHC does not support backwards compatibility.  The current
method of always updating GHC to the latest version, discarding the old
version is useful to the most hard core bleeding edge types. An alternative
model for those of us that need a consistently usable system is not well
supported.  Currently updating ghc the "normal way" always breaks your build
system.  Arch has addressed this issue with a number of other packages.
Perhaps the best comparison would be ghc<https://www.archlinux.org/packages/
extra/x86_64/ghc/> verse linux<https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/
linux/>.  With linux, we have a "linux" package and a "linux-lts<https://
www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/linux-lts/>" package.  These are the
same, but linux-lts gets updated slightly less often and with less
expedition.  This problem has been had in Arch, it's been solved, and we
should take the example of these other cases I have provided and make two
ghc packages, so that there is a standard supported sane way to use ghc on
arch linux.  This isn't a problem that affects me personally these days. As
an advanced user I don't really have any trouble working around the issue.
But I'd like Arch to be inviting to newbies and to have what most of us more
experienced users implement manually by default.

Timothy