[Haskell-cafe] Tutorial: Haskell for the Evil Genius

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Fri Sep 14 19:53:02 CEST 2012

Hi Andrew,

To save others the search, here's the/a reddit URL:
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/related/nhnyd/nfa_in_a_single_line_of_haskell/.

The terribly misleading/mistaken remarks on fib & memoization are still in
your post. As hammar commented on reddit commenter, you're not memoizing in
that example; just shadowing one fib definition with another (very partial)
one. (BTW, I highly recommend compiling with -Wall in all cases and then
addressing all reported issues. Doing so would have issued a shadowing
warning.)

Another comment:

As a declarative language, Haskell manipulates expressions, eventually
> reducing expressions to values.

Huh? In what sense do declarative languages manipulate expressions? Sounds
like a classic syntax/semantics confusion, especially when interpreters
and/or lazy evaluation (implementation issues, not language properties) are
in the mix.

Regards, - Conal