[Haskell-cafe] Church vs Boehm-Berarducci encoding of Lists

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 23:41:41 CEST 2012

Oleg, do you have any references for the extension of lambda-encoding of
data into dependently typed systems?

In particular, consider Nat:

    nat_elim :: forall P:(Nat -> *). P 0 -> (forall n:Nat. P n -> P (succ
n)) -> (n:Nat) -> P n

The naive lambda-encoding of 'nat' in the untyped lambda-calculus has
exactly the correct form for passing to nat_elim:

    nat_elim pZero pSucc n = n pZero pSucc

with

    zero :: Nat
    zero pZero pSucc = pZero

    succ :: Nat -> Nat
    succ n pZero pSucc = pSucc (n pZero pSucc)

But trying to encode the numerals this way leads to "Nat" referring to its
value in its type!

   type Nat = forall P:(Nat  -> *). P 0 -> (forall n:Nat. P n -> P (succ

Is there a way out of this quagmire?  Or are we stuck defining actual
datatypes if we want dependent types?

  -- ryan