[Haskell-cafe] Church vs Boehm-Berarducci encoding of Lists

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 01:09:11 CEST 2012

This paper:

    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.26.957

Induction is Not Derivable in Second Order Dependent Type Theory,
shows, well, that you can't encode naturals with a strong induction
principle in said theory. At all, no matter what tricks you try.

However, A Logic for Parametric Polymorphism,

    http://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstream/1842/205/1/Par_Poly.pdf

Indicates that in a type theory incorporating relational parametricity
of its own types,  the induction principle for the ordinary
Church-like encoding of natural numbers can be derived. I've done some
work here:

    http://code.haskell.org/~dolio/agda-share/html/ParamInduction.html

for some simpler types (although, I've been informed that sigma was
novel, it not being a Simple Type), but haven't figured out natural
numbers yet (I haven't actually studied the second paper above, which
I was pointed to recently).

-- Dan