[Haskell-cafe] Call for discussion: OverloadedLists extension

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 24 18:29:00 CEST 2012

|  Many of us use the OverloadedStrings language extension on a regular
|  basis. It provides the ability to keep the ease-of-use of string
|  literal syntax, while getting the performance and correctness
|  advantages of specialized datatypes like ByteString and Text. I think
|  we can get the same kind of benefit by allowing another literal syntax
|  to be overloaded, namely lists.

Interestingly, Achim Krause, George Giorgidze and Jeroen Weijers have been thinking about this very question.  They have most of an implementation too. I'm ccing them so they can post a status update.

Your email broadens the topic somewhat; I don't think we'd considered overloading for maps too, though I can see it makes sense.  I'd much prefer the type-family solution (with a single-parameter type class) to the fundep one, if we go that route.

This topic deserves its own page on the GHC wiki, if someone wants to start one.

If we can evolve a design consensus, I'm happy to incorporate the result in GHC.

Simon