[Haskell-cafe] Assembly EDSL in Haskell

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 16:09:19 CEST 2013

Hi Cafe,
I am trying to embed x86 assembly in Haskell. I'd like the EDSL to not
allow invalid movements into registers - for example, should not allow
moving into RIP. I was not able to get it to work. I ended up using
DataTypeContexts - which is considered misfeature anyway. I was wondering
if I could get some suggestions.

{-# LANGUAGE DatatypeContexts #-}

data SREG = RIP
data DREG = RBX
data SNDREG = RAX

data (Source s, Destination d) => Instruction s d = MOV s d

class Source a
class Destination a

instance Source SREG
instance Source SNDREG

instance Destination DREG
instance Destination SNDREG

move :: (Source s, Destination d) => s -> d -> Instruction s d
move s d = MOV s d

hello = [move RAX RAX, move RAX RAX]

hello = [move RAX RAX, move RAX RBX] -- this is still not allowed.

Regards,
Kashyap