[Haskell-cafe] [Conduit] weird action of leftover.

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Apr 9 06:12:34 CEST 2013

It's a bug in your implementation of takeLine I believe. It doesn't take
into account that lines can span multiple chunks. When you call takeLine
the first time, you get "L1\n". leftover puts a chunk with exactly those
contents back. When you call takeLine the second time, it gets the chunk
"L1\n", and your splitAt gives you back "L1\n" and "". The "" is then
leftover, and the next call to takeLine gets it.

Your takeLine needs to include logic saying "there's no newline in this
chunk at all, let's get the next chunk and try that." You can look at the
source to lines[1] for an example of the concept.

Michael

[1]
http://haddocks.fpcomplete.com/fp/7.4.2/20130313-1/conduit/src/Data-Conduit-Binary.html#lines