[Haskell-cafe] ghc head creates premature tarball

Takayuki Muranushi muranushi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 15:53:28 CEST 2013

Hi all,

These few days I've been having trouble in attempt to use GHC head. I
follow the following standard steps to create a tarball:

$ git clone http://darcs.haskell.org/ghc.git/
$ cd ghc
$ # optionally, git checkout <branch name>
$ ./sync-all --testsuite get
$ cp mk/build.mk.sample mk/build.mk
$ ### edit BuildFlavour to quick ###
$ ./boot
$ ./configure
$ make -jN # <N> is the number of cores you have.
$ make binary-dist

and then sandbox-install the tarball by hsenv. However, the installed
ghc exhibits the following strange behaviors:

(1) several .so files need to be manually copied to /usr/lib .
(2) the installed ghc doesn't find any package, even 'base' or 'ghc-prim'

Then carefully looking, I found that `make binary-dist` is outputting
some error messages,:

> cd bindistprep && "/bin/tar" hcf - -T ../bindist-list | bzip2 -c > ../bindistprep/ghc-7.7.20130409-x86_64-unknown-linux.tar.bz2
> /bin/tar: ghc-7.7.20130409/compiler/stage2/doc: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> /bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

The file "./bindist-list" included a filepath that doesn't exist, so
that tar command aborted there and every item after that line on the
list was excluded from the tarball. So I tested the following trick;

$ touch compiler/stage2/doc

Then the previous error message didn't show up any more, and the
spurious behavior (1) (2) didn't appear any more.

I'm wondering if this is an installer bug or I was doing something
wrong. I'd appreciate any advice.

Best,

--
Takayuki MURANUSHI
The Hakubi Center for Advanced Research, Kyoto University