[Haskell-cafe] unsafeInterleaveST (and IO) is really unsafe

David Sabel sabel at ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Apr 15 20:44:08 CEST 2013

Am 13.04.2013 00:37, schrieb Timon Gehr:
> On 04/12/2013 10:24 AM, oleg at okmij.org wrote:
>>
>> Timon Gehr wrote:
>>> I am not sure that the two statements are equivalent. Above you say
>>> that
>>> the context distinguishes x == y from y == x and below you say that it
>>> distinguishes them in one possible run.
>>
>> I guess this is a terminological problem.
>
> It likely is.
>
>> The phrase `context
>> distinguishes e1 and e2' is the standard phrase in theory of
>> contextual equivalence. Here are the nice slides
>> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/teaching/0910/L16/semhl-15-ann.pdf
>>

> The only occurrence of 'distinguish' is in the Leibniz citation.
>
>> Please see adequacy on slide 17. An expression relation between two
>> boolean expressions M1 and M2 is adequate if for all program runs (for
>> all initial states of the program s), M1
>> evaluates to true just in case M2 does. If in some circumstances M1
>> evaluates to true but M2 (with the same initial state) evaluates to
>> false, the expressions are not related or the expression relation is
>> inadequate.
>>

> In my mind, 'evaluates-to' is an existential statement. The adequacy
> notion given there is inadequate if the program execution is
> indeterministic, as I would have expected it to be in this case. (They
> quickly note this on slide 18, giving concurrency features as an
> example.)
>
>> See also the classic
>> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/racket/pubs/scp91-felleisen.ps.gz
>> (p11 for definition and Theorem 3.8 for an example of a
>> distinguishing, or witnessing context).
>>

> Thanks for the pointer, I will have a look. However, it seems that the
> semantics the definition and the proof rely on are deterministic?
>
>>> In essence, lazy IO provides unsafe constructs that are not named
>>> accordingly. (But IO is problematic in any case, partly because it
>>> depends on an ideal program being run on a real machine which is based
>>> on a less general model of computation.)
>>
>> I'd agree with the first sentence. As for the second sentence, all
>> real programs are real programs executing on real machines. We may
>> equationally prove (at time Integer) that
>>          1 + 2^100000 == 2^100000 + 1
>> but we may have trouble verifying it in Haskell (or any other
>> language). That does not mean equational reasoning is useless: we just
>> have to precisely specify the abstraction boundaries.
>
> Which is really hard. I think equational reasoning is helpful because
> it is valid for ideal programs and it seems therefore to be a good
> heuristic for real ones.
>
>> BTW, the
>> equality above is still useful even in Haskell: it says that if the
>> program managed to compute 1 + 2^100000 and it also managed to compute
>> 2^100000 + 1, the results must be the same. (Of course in the above
>> example, the program will probably crash in both cases).  What is not
>> adequate is when equational theory predicts one finite result, and the
> [...]
A very interesting discussion,  I may add my 2 cents:
    making unsafeInterleaveIO nondeterministic indeed seems to make it safe,
    more or less this was proved in our paper:

http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/papers/sabel/chf-conservative-lics.pdf
slides:
http://www.ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/persons/sabel/chf-conservative.pdf

there we proposed an extension to Concurrent Haskell which adds a primitive

future :: IO a -> IO a

Roughly speaking future is like unsafeInterleaveIO, but creates a new
concurrent thread
to compute the result of the IO-action interleaved without any fixed order.

We have shown that adding this primitive to the functional core language
is 'safe' in the sense
that all program equations of the pure language still hold in the
extended language
(which we call a conservative extension in the above paper)

The used equality is contextual equivalence
(with may- and a variant of must-convergence in the concurrent case).

We also showed that adding unsafeInterleaveIO (called lazy futures in
the paper..)
- which delays until its result is demanded - breaks this conservativity,
since the order of evaluation can be observed.

Best wishes,
  David