[Haskell-cafe] primitive operations in StateT

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 08:29:14 CEST 2013

On 16 April 2013 15:56, Clark Gaebel <cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> The monad my code is currently written in is:
>
> type MC = MCT Identity -- where MCT is the monad transformer version of it.
>
> I have two options for threading state through this:
>
>     MCT (ST s) a
>     StateT s MC a
>
> The first option would work if I had some function with the signature
>
> MCT Identity a -> MCT (ST s) a
>
> but I know of no such function, and the second one would work if I had some
> way of making StateT a member of PrimMonad.
>
> Can I see an example with 'lift'?

You should just be able to use lift to convert any PrimMonad action
into your MCT-based monad as long as MCT is an instance of the
MonadTrans class.

i.e. if `foo :: (PrimMonad m) => m a' and MCT is an instance of
MonadTrans, then you can do `lift foo :: (PrimMonad m) => MCT m a', or
`lift (lift foo) :: (PrimMonad m) => MCT (StateT s m) a'.

As another option, I have an as-yet-unreleased library to let you
avoid having to do lift . lift for PrimMonad-based actions:
http://hub.darcs.net/ivanm/monad-prim