[Haskell-cafe] Contravariant applicatives, monads and arrows (was ANN: rematch, an library for composable assertions with human readable failure messages)

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 17:12:51 CEST 2013

Hi,
First of all, let me say that this work on matchers is really useful :)

Following Roman advice, I'm trying to find a more principled approach
that could be useful for this library. It seems that "Match" could
easily be converted to Either and thus made into Functor, Applicative,
Alternative and Monad. That would allow to write things like:

User <$> runMatch (isNot isEmpty) name <*> runMatch (hasItem (is '@')) email

However, I'm also thinking about the correct way to "combine" matchers
to get bigger matchers. Basically, if I have matchers on every field
of a record, can I get a matcher for the entire one?

My first idea was to make Matcher a functor. However, what I come was
a contravariant functor: given (a -> b) and Matcher b, I can easily
construct a Matcher a by running the one in b over this function. So
we have:

contramap :: (a -> b) -> Matcher b -> Matcher a

My first question is: is there any structure similar to applicative
functors or monads which work on these kind of contravariant functors?
This also brought into my mind to see Matcher a just as functions a ->
Match and derive its properties from there. This may give better
results that the above mentioned idea of looking it as a -> Either
String a, because in this latter case we have a in covariant and
contravariant positions and it's difficult to get anything.

On the other hand, it seems very easy, from a Matcher a and a Matcher
b, to get a Matcher (a,b). This reminds me a bit about arrows, but
without output parameters. Does it make sense? I've always been
reluctant to arrows because I don't fully understand them, but maybe
this is a good moment to learn.

Do any of this make sense? I would really like to contribute to this
great library! :)