[Haskell-cafe] Two GHC-related GSoC Proposals

Patrick Palka patrick at parcs.ath.cx
Mon Apr 22 04:34:41 CEST 2013

Good points. I did not take into account whether proposal #2 may be worth
it in light of -fllvm. I suppose that even if the LLVM codegen is able to
perform similar optimizations, it would still be beneficial to implement
proposal #2 as a core-to-core pass because the transformations it performs
would expose new information to subsequent core-to-core passes. Also,
Haskell has different overflow rules than C does (whose rules I assume
LLVM's optimizations are modeled from): In Haskell, integer overflow is
undefined for all integral types, whereas in C it's only undefined for
signed integral types. This limits the number of optimizations a C-based
optimizer can perform on unsigned arithmetic.

I'm not sure how I would break up the parallel compilation proposal into
multiple self-contained units of work. I can only think of two units:
making GHC thread safe, and writing the new parallel compilation driver.
Other incidental units may come up during development (e.g. parallel
compilation might exacerbate
#4012<http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/4012>),
but I still feel that three months of full time work is ample time to
complete the project, especially with existing familiarity with the code
base.

Thanks for the feedback.