[Haskell-cafe] Request for help: Recompile of ghc producing "...-ghc7.4.2.so"s, which break project builds.

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 17:59:20 CEST 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:47 AM, David Banas <capn.freako at gmail.com> wrote:

> dbanas at dbanas-lap:~/prj/AMI-Tool$ make
> rm -f libami.so
> ghc -o libami.so -shared -dynamic -package parsec -lHSrts -lm -lffi -lrt
> AMIParse.o AMIModel.o ami_model.o ExmplUsrModel.o Filter.o
> dbanas at dbanas-lap:~/prj/AMI-Tool$
>

> However, I'm a little confused as to why the "-package parsec" isn't
> triggering the same issue, since the parsec dynamic libraries were given
> the same "-ghc7.4.2" suffix:

That would be because the parsec library contains the correct invocation
already, but above you are telling the linker to look for libHSrts.{so,a}
with the explicit -l option. You would need to change it to
```-lHSrts-ghc7.4.2```.

Perhaps ghc needs an option to include the correct runtime support
libraries in this case; certainly, having to specify all of those in the
build command is ugly and fragile even without mangled shared object names.