[Haskell-cafe] Markdown extension for Haddock as a GSoC project

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 10:47:58 CEST 2013

On 29 April 2013 18:16, Alexander Kjeldaas <alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see the pluggable markup being pushed in this thread again.
>
> I just want to remind everybody that we currently have a flavor of a markup
> issue on github.
>
> The ghc source code uses literal haskell, and it does not work well on
> github.
>
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/ghc-devs/2013-April/001099.html
>
> Any markup that is not widely supported makes it harder for third parties to
> support and parse.
>
> The solution is *not* to reimplement github in haskell, but to standardize
> markup as much as possible.
>
> Pluggable markup makes the probability that a github-like service, IDEs and
> similar can make use of the documentation arbitrarily close to zero.

If it's pluggable, doesn't it make the situation _worse_, as you
choose a plug-in that works with one service but then fails for all
the others?

I think this is a bit of a non-issue: services like github should
_not_ mark-up documentation (as you're going to have some kind of
issue where it's rendered when you didn't expect it or vice-versa,
thus making it different to read the actual code).

I tend to agree with Richard, etc.: I'd rather either extend the
existing Haddock mark-up or choose a sane markup language if we wish
to replace/augment it (I use markup, but find a lot of its conventions
appalling).