[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tasty, a new testing framework

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Aug 5 22:02:49 CEST 2013

* Andrey Chudnov <achudnov at gmail.com> [2013-08-05 15:31:16-0400]
> On 08/05/2013 02:48 PM, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> >(which is unmaintained).
>   Has this been confirmed by the author/maintainer?

I've sent a couple of emails to Max (one in January, one in April) and
haven't heard anything from him. My patches, which he applied in
January, are still not released. That's why I regard test-framework as
unmaintained.

You can also make your own impression by browsing github (commit
activity, outstanding pull requests, open issues...)

> Is it a drop-in replacement for test-framework, e.g. if I substitute
> "test-framework" for "tasty" in my .cabal files, will it work?
> If not, could you provide a quick guide for porting?

Not quite.

At the very least, you'll have to change module names
(Test.Framework -> Test.Tasty,
 Test.Framework.Providers.HUnit -> Test.Tasty.HUnit, ...),
and wrap the top-level list of tests into a testGroup.

If you have type signatures, you'll need to rename Test to TestTree.

That should be enough in most cases. If you use plusTestOptions, you'll
need to look up appropriate functions from Test.Tasty.Options.

> Also, is the
> current version (0.1) recommended for general use?

I'd love to see people using it. But you should treat this as beta
software. I am in the process of migrating my own packages to use Tasty.

Roman