[Haskell-cafe] Alternative name for return

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 04:10:36 CEST 2013

> I bet you can find an abundance of C programmers who think that
> "strcmp" is an intuitive name for string comparison (rather than
> compression, say).

But at least, 'strcmp' is not a common English language term, to have
acquired some unintentional 'intuition' by being familiar with it even in
our daily life. The Haskell terms, say, 'return' and 'lift', on the other
hand, do have usage in common English, so even a person with _no_
programming background would have acquired some unintentional 'intuition'
by being familiar with them.

And in that light, _for_me_, 'lift' is more _intuitive_ than 'return' or
'pure'. It seems, to me, like the thing being 'lifted' from a given world
into a more 'abstract' world.

Of course, I recall reading somewhere: a poet is a person who uses the
different words to mean the same thing, while a mathematician is a person
who ascribes more meanings to the same word.

Haskell, being originated from _mathy_ people, we do get to _enjoy_ this
effect.
Having said this, it has actually helped me build a different type of
'intuition' for words and I do enjoy it.

Thanks and regards,
-Damodar Kulkarni