[Haskell-cafe] Installing wxHaskel on Snow Leopard

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 17:26:33 CEST 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Eduardo Sato <eduardo.sato at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only problem now is that I want to distribute a wxHaskell application
> on mac OS X. I tried using macosx-app and cabal-macosx (
> https://github.com/michaelt/cabal-macosx) to make an "app" file. It runs
> fine on my machine, but it fails to run on another computer. I get the
> following error:
>
> Dyld Error Message: Library not loaded:
> /Users/eduardo/.cabal/lib/wxc-0.90.1.0/ghc-7.6.3/libwxc.dylib.
>
> What would be the best way to redistribute wxHaskell apps?

This sounds like cabal-macosx was not updated to handle dynamic GHC
libraries. (GHC used to default to static; OS X was one of the first
platforms to switch to default dynamic.) I know in theory how to deal with
this (copy the necessary libraries into the app bundle and use
install_name_tool to adjust the references to be bundle-relative) but could
not give you exact details.